QoL improvements

Syalara

QoL improvements

Post by Syalara » Fri May 24, 2019 10:03 am

A couple of suggestions to improve gameplay without negatively impacting anything.
I think that some items are tied to rather large loot pools. That means a player must contend with the normal % to drop then face another % chance that they'll get the actual item they need. That generally works OK when dealing with small loot pools but as those become larger the chance you get what you need decreases greatly. If the loot pool contains too many possible choices, there is a chance you will never see the item you need without resorting to what some may consider being an unreasonable amount of farming.....and you'll still need luck. I am fairly sure this impacts more than the items I will mention in this post, I am only bringing up the instances I've come across in my time here.

1. Molds/patterns in Tier4
I have well over 100 molds/patterns in my bank and yet I am missing some pieces entirely, have a single drop of some, and have 14 of others. That seems absurd and easily fixable to me.
I'd suggest making an NPC who will accept 4 of the same type of mold/pattern (chain, cloth, plate, or leather) and give you a choice of which mold/pattern of the same type you would like in return. So I could hand in 2 plate BP molds, 1 plate gauntlet mold, and 1 plate bracer mold and get a single plate mold of my choosing.
You could even tie on an additional cost like plat, AA's, and/or tokens on top of that if you like. I don't think anyone would mind. I'd gladly pay 200 T4 tokens + 200kp + 4 molds just to get the one or two that haven't dropped for me yet.

Another way to handle it is like this...
Mobs drop balls of clay (for plate molds), leather scraps (for leather patterns), and so on...
You go to an NPC who will combine X number of them for a particular mold/pattern.
Like 6 balls of clay will get you a plate bp mold but you only need 4 balls of clay for a bracer mold....for example. Heck, you could even work tradeskilling into this if you'd like.
This is another way to reduce the likelihood of getting screwed by the RNG as you only would have 4 items in the loot pool as opposed to the current 28.

2. Spells
Pretty much the same. I think they're in a single large loot pool which really reduces the chance you will get what you need/want. There is nothing worse than having to farm a tier you've completed just for spells you never obtained during normal progression. Well...no. I take that back. Getting stuck in progression because the heal or nuke you need to beat certain content hasn't been bestowed upon you by the RNG Gods would be worse. For perspective, if you get a spell to drop in The Hole, you have a 1 in 40 chance of it being the one you want. That is a single zone. You'd have to do it again in the next zone for different spells. Imagine a mob who dropped an item 10% of the time and nothing 90% of the time...then give him a loot pool of 40 different items. Ugh.
I'd suggest making an NPC who will accept 4 spells of the same tier and class and in return gives you a single spell of the same class and tier that you choose.
You could even tie on an additional cost like plat, AA's, and/or tokens on top of that if you like. I don't think anyone would mind. I'd gladly pay 200 T4 tokens + 200kp + 4 spells just to get the one or two that haven't dropped for me yet.

I have no problem with farming but there comes a point where it just becomes a punishment.
I am well aware that the items I mentioned here are droppable. I do not think that is any kind of 'solution' to the underlying problem. This server does not have the population or necessary foundation for a healthy economy of any sort. I think there are 2 active players in early Avatar zones and 0 match my playtime. I've seen not a single other person in The Hole and I'm getting ready to tackle the big nameds there.

*Note*
I enjoy this server. I've poked and prodded around a number of emu servers recently (got the itch again) and chose this one. I have played many others, some for a number of years. I see a lot of potential here and my suggestions are meant to be just that, suggestions. They are not criticisms or complaints.